MY WORK INVOLVES
- Providing mosaic workshops in schools and the community across Yorkshire & UK
- Undertaking public, private and commercial mosaic commissions
- Producing my own mosaics for exhibition and sale
- Provided mosaic workshops since 2007 in a wide variety of schools and community settings
- Engaged diverse client groups including special needs, disadvantaged children, cancer and mental health patients, prisoners, BAME
- Created and written projects, successfully applied for funding (eg Arts Council) and run projects to completion with the third sector
QUALIFICATIONS, PROFESSIONAL BODIES & CERTIFICATES
- Teaching qualification (PTTLS)
- Community artworker qualification (C&G NVQ3 Community Artworker)
- Degree (BA Hons 2:1 English & Social Anthropology)
- Professional membership of British Association for Modern Mosaics (BAMM)
- Certificate in Safeguarding Children (Level 1)
- Mental Health First Aid certificate
- a clear Enhanced DBS certificate (formerly known as CRB)
- public liability insurance
- transport & full driver’s licence
MY MOSAIC INSPIRATIONS
A visit to Ravenna, Italy in 1992 changed my life. Standing in front of the world’s greatest Byzantine mosaic interior of the Basilica of San Vitale I knew I had to master the art and techniques of these anonymous great masters.
Explorations of the Roman sites of Britain, Italy, France, Spain and Greece combined with a fascination of architecture and pagan archetypes continues to feed my passion inspiring a whole series of geometric, literature and nature based mosaics.
Working from my North Yorkshire studio looking out across the Wolds and North York Moors, I am passionately driven to achieve a balance between creating a great initial design with the physical creation and arrangement of tesserae that flow harmoniously throughout the work.
Each mosaic is produced with hand-cut double fired French porcelain, which has an impervious matt surface, very similar to the natural stone colours of Roman mosaics, with the additional highlight of vibrant vitreous, sicis or smalti glass and mirrors providing a contemporary twist.
Sue Kershaw, Mosaic Artist (Yorkshire based provider of mosaic workshops across the UK)